Friday, February 11, 2011

Here's my free range flock on bug patrol.
My yard and garden were overrun with slugs, snails, sowbugs and earwigs last year. Oh, and Black Widows were far too common.
After a year of  letting my hens free range there is nary a bug in sight.
The hens only pay attention to their feeder in the hen house when they have thoroughly combed the yard and garden.
I give them egg pellets these days which hold well in the feeder until they come looking for something extra.
Egg Pellets are 16% protein which is about 1% lower than an All in One food which is usually (depending on manufacturer) about 17% protein.
If the hens had to be penned because of predators I would use a higher protein feed to maintain egg production and quality, something like an All in One crumble. It costs a little more but if it doesn't have too much corn it will be okay. Corn is cheap and it adds fat which can reduce egg production.
I will explain more later about the pros and cons of different grains especially corn and wheat.

No comments:

Post a Comment